COMMUNITY SERVICE GUIDELINES – 2016-2017 School Year
****NOTE CHANGE IN SENIOR HOUR DEADLINE - DUE TO SPRING BREAK, SENIOR HOURS ARE DUE BY WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19. NONE WILL BE TAKEN AFTER APRIL 19 - FORMS WILL BE COLLECTED AT END OF DAY ON APRIL 19.
Community service is an honorable tradition at Morgantown High School. This provides an opportunity for our students to serve the community while developing skills in leadership, accountability, and self-management. Community service is not a graduation requirement. In recognition for community service, Morgantown High School awards medallions for 200+ service hours to be worn at the graduation ceremony as follows: Blue Ribbon 500+ hours; Red Ribbon 350-499 hours; White Ribbon 200-349 hours. Diploma seals are earned for 50-199 hours.
COMMUNITY SERVICE PROCEDURES
Community Service is an opportunity for an individual to perform structured/supervised work for the direct benefit of the community without any monetary compensation.
Service projects/commitments completed during the summer before beginning 9th grade may be submitted to the attending high school once the school year begins.
Students are encouraged to perform the service during non-school hours. Services performed during the school instructional day must have prior approval of the school administration. We support student club and organization activities that encourage students to take part in community service projects.
Community service activities must have a leader or responsible adult on site to evaluate, confirm student performance and provide a signature upon completion of the services. All community service must be submitted by the deadline date set by the school administration.
Please read and follow these general guidelines:
(1) Support staff for a school sport at MHS, such as managers, statisticians, etc., that earn an athletic letter cannot receive community service for that time.
(2) A parent/guardian cannot sign for their own child's hours.
(3) Fundraising for MHS sports, clubs/organizations, monetary donations, and work based learning hours are not acceptable forms of community service.
(4) Hours will not be accepted from prior years. For example: A senior cannot turn in hours from Freshman, Sophomore, and/or Junior year.
(5) Hours from middle school are not accepted. Hours may only be earned beginning with the summer before the Freshman year of high school.
(6) Anything done for profit (pay or for a grade) will not count as community service.
(7) If working a camp, mission, etc., only hours spent working are allowed. You cannot count 24 hours a day if you are “on call”.
(8) Donations are not accepted as hours.
DIRECTIONS FOR TURNING IN HOURS
- Forms may be picked up from Mrs. Sprenger in Room 217B . There is a form and guidelines on Engrade at:
- Hours are due within 2 weeks of completing each day of service. Last day to turn in hours for seniors is WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19, 2017. The last day for underclassmen to turn in hours is May 31, 2017 (may change due to snow days) **THE EXCEPTION TO THIS IS SUMMER HOURS – THEY ARE DUE UPON RETURN TO SCHOOL BY SEPTEMER 2, 2016
- LUMP SUM HOURS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. HOURS MUST BE VERIFIED ON A DAILY BASIS when completing multiple days at one location. For example: A student volunteers during the months of July & August for 85 hours. To receive credit, the hours must be documented by date and number of hours per day. Use the Multiple Hours Form on the back of the verification form for this. An official form from the organization detailing your daily hours is acceptable provided it is signed by the supervisor/ coordinator and includes a phone number. The Verification Form must accompany this with all information filled in completely.
- INCOMPLETE FORMS WILL BE RETURNED TO THE STUDENT AND HOURS NOT RECORDED UNTIL CORRECTLY SUBMITTED.
- A separate form is required for EACH location. Description of the service performed is required.
- A coordinator/supervisor at the place of service must sign the form and verify hours were not earned for payment or academic grade. Parents/Guardian signatures will not be accepted as verification of hours.