Morgantown High School Tardy Policy
Being on time to class is essential to maximize the learning experience. Students who are late to class not only lose out on the educational experience at that time, but also disrupt their classmates’ ability to learn and their teacher’s ability to offer quality instruction by their interruption. Not being in class also creates a security and accountability issue. It is with this in mind that we create a tardy policy that will hopefully begin to eliminate this annoyance.
At the beginning of each period, teachers should close their doors and direct tardy students to the lobby outside the front office. Teachers who are on planning during any given period are asked to help direct students from the hallways to the lobby. Students will check-in and receive a pass from the Raptor system noting their unexcused tardy (if Raptor is down, a different pass will be given). Those students will then be directed back to class. Teachers should record these students as tardy for attendance purposes. A master spreadsheet will be kept with each student’s tardy history. This is a school-wide endeavor, and it will only work if all participate consistently. Certainly, there are times where you may let a student in to your class “late” because you knew they were coming from the 4th floor to the far side. But, for the majority of cases, we need to close the door and direct them to the lobby.
The Teachers’ Role:
· At the beginning of each period, right before you begin instruction, we ask that you close your door and direct students to the lobby outside the front office. Do not allow students into classroom tardy without a tardy pass. If they come to your door without a pass, direct them to the front office.
- Mark students as tardy for attendance purposes AND collect the tardy pass(es) to keep on file in your room.
- If you are on planning, please help direct students to the lobby.
- Be out in the hallways during class changes to direct students to class before the bell rings so they are not tardy.
- If feasibly possible, get work to students are placed in ISS.
The Front Offices’ Role:
- Man the Raptor system to record tardies.
- Keep master spreadsheet of student tardies.
- Help empty hallways toward lobby as well as direct students back to class after the have been checked in.
- Levy discipline for students based on the levels listed below.
The Students’ Role:
- Presumably, students get to class on time. If they do not, they should filter toward the lobby to receive a tardy pass to class.
- Return to class promptly after receiving a tardy pass to minimize disruption. If they are at a level that does not have them go back to class, they are expected to accept discipline for their refusal to comply with school rules.
Levels of Discipline:
- 1 st recorded tardy—Warning and sent back to class
- 2 nd recorded tardy—Warning and sent back to class
- 3 rd recorded tardy—Immediate ISS for the period
- 4 th recorded tardy—Immediate ISS for the period
- 5 th recorded tardy—ISS for the remainder of the school day
- 6 th recorded tardy—ISS for the remainder of the school day
- 7 th and future recorded tardies—OSS (length at discretion of administrator)